Enjoining Good and forbidding Evil
ALLAH, the Exalted, says:
“Let there arise out of you a group of people inviting to all that is good (Islam), enjoining Al-Ma`ruf (i.e., Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do) and forbidding Al-Munkar (polytheism and disbelief and all that Islam has forbidden). And it is they who are the successful.” (3:104)
“You (true believers in Islamic Monotheism, and real followers of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and his Sunnah) are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind; you enjoin Al-Ma`ruf (i.e., Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam has ordained) and forbid Al-Munkar (polytheism, disbelief and all that Islam has forbidden)”. (3:110)
“Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish (i.e., don’t punish them).” (7:199)
“The believers, men and women, are Auliya’ (helpers, supporters, friends, protectors) of one another; they enjoin (on the people) Al-Ma`ruf (i.e., Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do), and forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e., polytheism and disbelief of all kinds, and all that Islam has forbidden)”. (9:71)
1. Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (May ALLAH be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of ALLAH (PBUH) said, “Whoever amongst you sees an evil, he must change it with his hand; if he is unable to do so, then with his tongue; and if he is unable to do so, then with his heart; and that is the weakest form of Faith”. [Muslim].
2. Nu`man bin Bashir (May ALLAH be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, “The likeness of the man who observes the limits prescribed by ALLAH and that of the man who transgresses them is like the people who get on board a ship after casting lots. Some of them are in its lower deck and some of them in its upper (deck). Those who are in its lower (deck), when they require water, go to the occupants of the upper deck, and say to them : `If we make a hole in the bottom of the ship, we shall not harm you.’ If they (the occupants of the upper deck) leave them to carry out their design they all will be drowned. But if they do not let them go ahead (with their plan), all of them will remain safe”.
3. Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (May ALLAH be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, “Beware of sitting on roads (ways).” The people said: “We have but them as sitting places.” Messenger of ALLAH (PBUH) said, “If you have to sit there, then observe the rights of the way”. They asked, “What are the rights of the way?” He (PBUH) said, “To lower your gaze (on seeing what is illegal to look at), and (removal of harmful objects), returning greetings, enjoining good and forbidding wrong”. [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
4. Hudhaifah (May ALLAH bepleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, “By Him in Whose Hand my life is, you either enjoin good and forbid evil, or ALLAH will certainly soon send His punishment to you. Then you will make supplication and it will not be accepted”. [At-Tirmidhi].
5. Abu Bakr As-Siddiq (May ALLAH bepleased with him) reported: “O you people! You recite this Verse:
`O you who believe! Take care of your ownselves. If you follow the (right) guidance [and enjoin what is right (Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do) and forbid what is wrong (polytheism, disbelief and all that Islam has forbidden)] no hurt can come to you from those who are in error.’ (5:105)
But I have heard Messenger of ALLAH (PBUH) saying: “When people see an oppressor but do not prevent him from (doing evil), it is likely that ALLAH will punish them all.” [Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].